History

St. Joseph’s College, Jakhama is a Catholic institution of higher learning established and managed by the Diocese of Kohima, Nagaland. It is the first college established by the Catholic Church in Nagaland. It aims at imparting quality higher education that is based on the Christian vision of life. Catholic education stresses the formation of the whole person by recognizing and developing the vast potentialities latent in the student in a balanced manner, taking into account the student’s socio-cultural context.

The College was inaugurated on 19th March 1985 at the Loyola School Campus, Jakhama, under the administration of the society of Jesus, with Pre-University Courses in Arts (including a Vocational Course) and Commerce. It was affiliated to the North Eastern Hill University, Shillong, in the same year. The College is now located in a spacious campus in Jakhama village, about 14 kms from Kohima, along the National Highway 2. Degree Courses in Arts (Bachelor of Arts) and in Commerce (Bachelor of Commerce) were started in 1988. BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) & B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) were started in 2009 and 2012 respectively. With the establishment of a University within the State of Nagaland in July 1994, the College is now affiliated to the Nagaland University. It is included in the List of Colleges under Section 2 (f) & 12 (B) of the UGC Act, 1956 and has been Re-accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with the B Grade (CGPA 2.73). The management of the College is vested with the St. Joseph’s College Society of the Diocese of Kohima. Besides the Diocesan Fathers who are in charge of the administration of the College, there are Religious sisters belonging to the Sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (SABS), and Congregation of Mother Carmel (CMC), and Apostolic Carmel (AC) as members of the staff.